We’ve all heard of the term ’superfood’, but what exactly does it mean? In a world more health-conscious than ever it can seem as though there’s a new buzzword on the block every other day! But when it comes to superfoods, those deserving of the label should wear it proudly. There’s no denying the amazing healthful benefits of superfoods, let’s explore exactly what they are and why they’re so important.
What is a Superfood?
There is no set criteria when it comes to defining a superfood but the clue is in the name – they’re foods which are super good for you! What separates them from the rest of foods which are also good for us is just how nutritionally dense they are. Superfoods tend to contain masses of micronutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – so they give us a whole spectrum of goodness within a smaller micro-dose. In other words, they’re incredibly nourishing even in small amounts!
Let’s take a look at these magical micronutrients in more detail…
- Vitamins – These are needed by every cell in the body and help us to perform hundreds of essential daily functions. Vitamins help us to grow, develop, repair and energise as well as protecting us from disease and boosting our immune system.
- Minerals – Minerals and trace minerals are essential to normal daily functioning, supporting nerve transmission, muscle contraction and fluid balance, as well as being the building blocks for healthy bones and teeth.
- Antioxidants – Perhaps the most healthful nutrient of all, antioxidants work to protect us from damage and promote health at a cellular level. They fight off damage from something called ‘free radicals’ – which are often the root cause of inflammation and disease. Think of them as the bodyguards of the cells, if it ain’t good for us – it ain’t getting in!
Most superfoods will provide a whopping dose of all three of these amazing nutrients, which is what separates the superfoods from the regular foods! Superfoods also commonly contain other healthful nutrients such as protein, fibre and healthy fats. Overall, they’re the full package when it comes to optimising nutritional status – providing a whole spectrum of benefits in relatively small doses.
The Power of Plants
Some may argue that certain fish and dairy products are superfoods but when it comes to the crunch there’s only one food group that takes gold on the podium – plants! Plant-based foods are undeniably the most nutritionally dense and deserving of their superfood status. All fruit and veg is high in vitamins, but it’s those which are a rich source of multiple vitamins, as well as minerals and antioxidants that gain superfood status.
The Amazing Health Benefits of Superfoods
All superfoods are different, no two are the same! But there are some things which all superfoods have in common and that’s that the amazing benefits they have on promoting health and wellbeing. Taken daily, superfoods help us to look, feel and be great! Here’s just a few benefits of superfoods…
- Boost the Immune System – Vitamins and minerals found in superfoods support your body’s natural immune function, helping it to fight off damage and prevent disease. Having a strong immune system isn’t just good for prevention but also helps us to heal quicker. So, by supporting your immune system you can quickly get back to your normal self as well as staying stronger and better protected year-round!
- Stay energised – Micronutrients found in superfoods help to digest and absorb protein, fat and carbs found in other foods. This helps to energise us throughout the day, in a natural and sustainable way. Having more energy will also have a positive effect on your motivation levels, concentration and mood.
- Promote Overall Health and Wellbeing – One of the biggest benefits of including superfoods in your diet is the effect they have on reducing inflammation. The antioxidants and phytonutrients found in superfoods help to reduce inflammation at a cellular level, which is the root cause of many health problems.
- Look as Good as you Feel – When it comes to nutrition, beauty starts from within! There’s not a cosmetic product out there that can mask the effects of a bad diet and lifestyle. Getting the right nutrition helps your body to regenerate cells, stay hydrated and reduce the impact ageing has on our appearance.
- Maintain Mental Health – Many of the nutrients found in superfoods have been shown to boost brain health and support mental wellbeing. Studies have found that superfoods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants can help to improve mental clarity, banish brain fog and improve concentration.
By extracting the potent power of plants, we can utilise superfoods for their functional benefits – taking them daily to optimise our nutrition and support overall health and wellbeing. Many people rely on vitamin and mineral capsules for this same reason, but the trouble is that there is only so much nutrition you can fit inside a capsule.
Whilst superfoods can provide amazing health benefits in small doses, their effect is often limited by the small space they’re given to occupy in capsules and tablets. What’s more, many of the nutrients in multivitamin and mineral capsules are often synthetic and so more difficult for the body to absorb and utilise.
In comparison, superfood blends utilise multiple natural wholefoods, extracting their goodness and blending them together to provide a whopping dose of nutrients in every scoop. Simply add to food and drinks for your daily dose of goodness, with the added bonus of the incredible taste and the bonus colour of nature’s finest ingredients!
Our Superfood Blends 😁
Our superfood blends are designed to make healthy eating fun and convenient, without costing the earth! We extract the goodness of all-natural superfoods and blend them together to deliver a potent superfood boost in every scoop. You won’t find any hidden nasties in any of our blends, just 100% natural goodness that’s gluten and diary free – and tastes amazing! Check out the full range here (https://superu.co.uk/collections/all).
- What is Oxidative Stress? - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10693912
- Effect of Antioxidant Supplements on the Ageing Process - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685276/
- The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Energy Metabolism and Wellbeing - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6243342_The_Role_of_Vitamins_and_Minerals_in_Energy_Metabolism_and_Well-Being
- Superfoods: Recent Data on their Role in the Prevention of Diseases - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6243342_The_Role_of_Vitamins_and_Minerals_in_Energy_Metabolism_and_Well-Being
** Written with the assistance of registered Nutritionist, Stephanie Masterman.